Friday, June 01, 2007

35 weeks: belly buttons, snoek, baby shopping & friends

Discovery email: Your baby now weighs over 2550g (checked yesterday - it's 2.45kg) and its total length is about 45cm. If you are battling to sleep at night, some doctors recommend sleeping on your left hand side. As your abdomen expands, you may notice numb spots or sensitive areas on your abdomen. As your skin stretches, the nerve fibres in it stretch, creating highly sensitive areas. Your belly button may pop out when your baby's back is against your abdomen and can then be sensitive to touch. Putting a band-aid over your belly button will stop it from rubbing against your clothes and will stop curious children from seeing the bump and pressing it.

Hmm - too true about that belly button! It's a bane. I liked my "innie". Moving on...

Dad was in CT for a conference on Thursday and Friday and stayed over with us before flying back on Saturday morning. We joined him at his schoolfriend Ronnie's place in Hout Bay for a snoek braai on Friday night. Now, I've viewed snoek with suspicion, being a long, dark, vicious-looking fish. However, wow-jolly-wow. Ronnie and Linda basted it with garlic and butter and lemon, and it was superb. I ate myself stukkend, as did the rest of the family. Ronnie and Linda are wonderful hosts and we spent much time in memory lane (Pretoria Boys High specifically).

Saturday dawned clear but chilly. A quick breakfast with Dad before he left for the airport, then we set out to do the chores like recycling, car services etc. I spent the entire day on Saturday hunting for curtains for the baby’s room! After phone calls to my sewing guru Cherelle, two hours in Fabric shops, a run past Access Park, a stop-in at Mr Price Home in Diepriver, a call to Jo about kiddies decor, a visit to Constantia Village, a journey to Boardmans, then a scan through Tokai Shopping Centre (get the picture?), I finally found some light purple curtains to do the job at 4pm. Hooray, they should be a safe colour for boys and girls, and they match Els' rocking chair.
Note: I did however come home with a very cute mosquito net, a lavender plant for the future herb garden/veggie patch, some potting soil, an extension cord and tile grout to mosaic a mirror, none of which was on my list. Oh, and I forgot the milk.

Sunday was less frenetic. Adam went climbing and I joined Joanne and her family for lunch (yum!). A wander down Muizenberg just before sundown and some silly seagulls brought a wider horison to my heart.

We finished our weekend with Brian and Lynette (from antenatal classes) and baby Sean, now two weeks old. After a very hectic birth which tried every method - natural, epidural and finally Caesarian section - Sean arrived and his parents have made it through the first two weeks relatively intact. Such a tiny little person! The little person inside me still does not seem quite real, despite the thumps, stretches and hiccups.

No comments: