The antenatal class is starting to drop out fast. We invited Brian and Lynette and Tim and Eloise for supper before class last night, but Tim called during the morning to say that they would not make it as Eloise had just delivered little Sofia (11 days early). I grabbed some flowers and chocs and zoomed down the road to meet them. Eloise was still in the labour room which had a huge double bed, nice bath, good view, armchair. It looked rather like a hotel room. Of course, I got all emotional (sniff) when I saw their 4-hour old baby. We'll take supper over to their place once they are home and settled.
Brian and Lynette are a hoot, and very down-to-earth about the whole thing. We ate our tacos midst lots of life stories and laughs, and I am looking forward to spending time with her/them once I am home. She's due in 2 weeks.
Then we all toddled off to our antenatal class on normal births. So, in succession, we watched one home birth (in the bath with ALL the family and friends present, plus dog, definitely strange home decorations), one hospital birth with a midwife (in the bath, music playing in the background), one hospital birth on a bed with a gynae who almost did not have his gloves on in time ("don't push, just wait a minute"), and then the Austrian active birthing centre where four different couples bounced on balls, hung off ropes or ladders, sat on birthing stools or lay on big beds to have their kids.
Let's get the stats out there:
Number of natural births we watched = 7
Births we did not watch = 1 x epidural with episiotomy
General class reaction = subdued
Half-time reaction = most people went for super sweet tea and extra slices of iced cinnamon buns to survive the next session
Forest Bump's dad = "Thank God I'm not a woman"
My reaction = "O vrek, what am I in for?"
Adam = no comment yet
Brian and Lynette are a hoot, and very down-to-earth about the whole thing. We ate our tacos midst lots of life stories and laughs, and I am looking forward to spending time with her/them once I am home. She's due in 2 weeks.
Then we all toddled off to our antenatal class on normal births. So, in succession, we watched one home birth (in the bath with ALL the family and friends present, plus dog, definitely strange home decorations), one hospital birth with a midwife (in the bath, music playing in the background), one hospital birth on a bed with a gynae who almost did not have his gloves on in time ("don't push, just wait a minute"), and then the Austrian active birthing centre where four different couples bounced on balls, hung off ropes or ladders, sat on birthing stools or lay on big beds to have their kids.
Let's get the stats out there:
Number of natural births we watched = 7
Births we did not watch = 1 x epidural with episiotomy
General class reaction = subdued
Half-time reaction = most people went for super sweet tea and extra slices of iced cinnamon buns to survive the next session
Forest Bump's dad = "Thank God I'm not a woman"
My reaction = "O vrek, what am I in for?"
Adam = no comment yet
No comments:
Post a Comment