Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pancakes, penguins, penises, panicked girls and pearls

Yip, that's a whopper of a headline! But hey, 'tis somewhat of what life is about right now. Let me elucidate before any of my readers start to hyperventilate (grab the bag, breathe in, out.)

Pancakes. The new "in-thing" in our home. In which old bananas are hidden and on which cinnamimamon and sugar are sprinkled. "You have to share it, Mommy" when I finally stopped feeding the squeaky small mouths and tried to sneakily eat one myself. Hmm. Who said sharing is caring!

Penguins - ah, that's easy. Just visit Betty's Bay and you will find thousands. On your doorstep. Leaving white streaks. And making rabid HEEE-HAARRRRR sounds at all hours of night. Apparently, and we checked with the oracle (Google for those who don't consult it often, Mum), penguins do not sleep at night for longer than an hour or two. They do seem to be absent in the day time though, which I presume is when they go fishing. I lurvvvvv my hubby who sent me off for a two hour nap in the afternoon with the Lukester :)

Penises. That has to be Luke's. He has started potty training and in fact kicked it off with no prompting all by himself. He did this by removing his nappy and bounding onto his bed shouting "I'm a man, I'm a man!" Truth be told, I sadly did not get to see this firsthand but had a full description from a very amused Monica, mother of 3 boys. Luke is loving running around without a nappy and is even more proud of his first underwear. Known either as jocks or undies, he wears them with pride. There are some downfalls to jocks though. I think he equates them with nappies, so we often here a panicked "I'm wet" or "I need a wee" only to get to the throne and find that he is already damp. However, he has the most ingenious way of ascending and descending the Royal Flush!  Cute kid!

Panicked girls. Can only be one of them. I walked into her bedroom this morning to find her simply sobbing in a heap on the floor. So, after some mommy-TLC, I finally found out that she was missing the songololo that she adopted yesterday. The one that was carried around in a small plastic container, on a finger, in a hand and then finally released into a flowerbed at supper time (after a lot of urging amidst my valid fears for its lifespan - the previous one was pulled in two, soggy bit dangling - shudder, ugh!)  But how do you comfort the tears of a little girl who is weeping?  "My songololo's gone. He's missinggggggg! He wants me!" 

Pearls of the last month? Being home to share in these kid-moments. A job interview with a vibrant new company after leaving the last job with much sadness. House-hunting for my mom-in-law who is moving down next year. Nigella's ratatouille (yum). My favourite chocolates from Liz when life got stressful. A weekend away in Betty's Bay with wonderful friends (and lots of penguins). Syncing two calendars on an iPhone. Walking hand-in-hand with Adam. Praying with a friend. Finding God in all the busy-ness and in business. Reminding myself that I live before an Audience of One and being reminded that He deeply loves me.

That's most of the last month. Will add pics sometime. 'night all.

No comments: