Luke David was born at 9.43am on Friday 20th Feb… it was quite a surreal experience actually, as we knew the date in advance, almost knew the time and so the build up was very “organised” in a way. Of course, as organized as having a baby really can be, really!
On Thursday I went to work as usual, much to the concern of various members of my team who were wondering if I would walk (er, waddle actually) in that morning. In fact, there were lots of worried looks whenever I got up, or leant over. I’m sure they were expecting me to pop there and then, and had secret back-up plans for getting in touch with Adam or the nearest emergency unit if I so much as grimaced!
I made it home safe and sound, and had some time playing with Jessica. Thoughts of “it’s the last time that it will be just us” did flash through my head, even when there was pasta all over her face and fruit in her hair. Dad arrived just after 6 and so my snotty little person (poor baby, she had mild flu) was happily distracted and oh so very thrilled to have Grandad visiting. She followed him all over the house and loved it when he picked her up and tickled her. Adam came home shortly afterwards and our house was full. It was lovely to chat, listen to Jessica laughing and smell a yummy supper roasting in the oven.
Jessica down, we sat around the table and talked by candlelight until eyes grew heavy. With phone calls to Mum in Jhb and coffee-surfeited, we retired to bed and thoughts of what was coming. Despite that, it didn’t take too long to fall asleep.
Up at 6, we left at 7 leaving Dad and Jessica on the couch doing bottle and stories. The roads were clear and signing in at the hospital took a little longer than I thought. No rush, or hurry, and we ambled upstairs to maternity to be greeted by an empty ward and friendly nursing staff. We had a tour of the recent revamp (most notable the zooty coffee machine which Adam made a bee-line for as soon as possible), unpacked, and waited.
Dr Cook turned out to be a great anesthetist, in every way. Friendly, excellent at the anaesthetic side of things (all working 100% first try) and humourous in theatre. Plus good with a camera. My one “moment” was being wheeled down the passage into theatre – Caro was so welcoming and the staff very friendly which all left me very emotional. Wiping tears away, I was wheeled into theatre. Adam followed shortly after in green suit and capped. Monty, the assisting gynae (in white wellies) read the newspaper while I was having the spinal put in - a matter of poke to the left, to the right and "you should find your bum feeling hot now?". I held Adam’s hand when they laid me flat and put up the screen, and it all started quite fast. All I could see was his face, and it was a mixture of expressions which made me realize how very hard it is to watch someone you love go through something so very hectic. My toes were numb and although I could feel pressure and touch, there was no pain.
Some suction-type noises, pulling sensations and with lots of jumping up and down on my upper tum by Monty, Caro pulling hard on the other end, I heard a wail and then another one. Tears choking my voice, I asked “What is it?” and Caro showed Adam and left him to answer me in a voice as choked as my own: “It’s a boy!” Then Caro said “Here’s your little Luke” holding him up. I caught a glimpse as Chris took him to check him out and do all the tests. Adam followed after kissing me, keeping on turning round to tell me Luke was ok, with indignant wails filling the room.
My diaphragm burned like crazy, but when Luke was laid on my chest I found myself staring at a little Chinese face all scrunched up. Dark hair, fuzzy ears, so very different from Jessica. I didn’t recognize him (should I have?).
On Thursday I went to work as usual, much to the concern of various members of my team who were wondering if I would walk (er, waddle actually) in that morning. In fact, there were lots of worried looks whenever I got up, or leant over. I’m sure they were expecting me to pop there and then, and had secret back-up plans for getting in touch with Adam or the nearest emergency unit if I so much as grimaced!
I made it home safe and sound, and had some time playing with Jessica. Thoughts of “it’s the last time that it will be just us” did flash through my head, even when there was pasta all over her face and fruit in her hair. Dad arrived just after 6 and so my snotty little person (poor baby, she had mild flu) was happily distracted and oh so very thrilled to have Grandad visiting. She followed him all over the house and loved it when he picked her up and tickled her. Adam came home shortly afterwards and our house was full. It was lovely to chat, listen to Jessica laughing and smell a yummy supper roasting in the oven.
Jessica down, we sat around the table and talked by candlelight until eyes grew heavy. With phone calls to Mum in Jhb and coffee-surfeited, we retired to bed and thoughts of what was coming. Despite that, it didn’t take too long to fall asleep.
Up at 6, we left at 7 leaving Dad and Jessica on the couch doing bottle and stories. The roads were clear and signing in at the hospital took a little longer than I thought. No rush, or hurry, and we ambled upstairs to maternity to be greeted by an empty ward and friendly nursing staff. We had a tour of the recent revamp (most notable the zooty coffee machine which Adam made a bee-line for as soon as possible), unpacked, and waited.
Dr Cook turned out to be a great anesthetist, in every way. Friendly, excellent at the anaesthetic side of things (all working 100% first try) and humourous in theatre. Plus good with a camera. My one “moment” was being wheeled down the passage into theatre – Caro was so welcoming and the staff very friendly which all left me very emotional. Wiping tears away, I was wheeled into theatre. Adam followed shortly after in green suit and capped. Monty, the assisting gynae (in white wellies) read the newspaper while I was having the spinal put in - a matter of poke to the left, to the right and "you should find your bum feeling hot now?". I held Adam’s hand when they laid me flat and put up the screen, and it all started quite fast. All I could see was his face, and it was a mixture of expressions which made me realize how very hard it is to watch someone you love go through something so very hectic. My toes were numb and although I could feel pressure and touch, there was no pain.
Some suction-type noises, pulling sensations and with lots of jumping up and down on my upper tum by Monty, Caro pulling hard on the other end, I heard a wail and then another one. Tears choking my voice, I asked “What is it?” and Caro showed Adam and left him to answer me in a voice as choked as my own: “It’s a boy!” Then Caro said “Here’s your little Luke” holding him up. I caught a glimpse as Chris took him to check him out and do all the tests. Adam followed after kissing me, keeping on turning round to tell me Luke was ok, with indignant wails filling the room.
My diaphragm burned like crazy, but when Luke was laid on my chest I found myself staring at a little Chinese face all scrunched up. Dark hair, fuzzy ears, so very different from Jessica. I didn’t recognize him (should I have?).
Caro showed me the placenta which was amazing, and then finished the cleaning up and putting my uterus back. That was agonizing! Thankfully the severe burning sensation eased after a few minutes, but it left me so nauseous and sore that it was hard to even hold onto Luke. 
I was wheeled into recovery ten minutes later. Luke was stripped of his towel and laid on my chest to snuggle. He started to root immediately, so I latched him and we had a quiet 15 minutes with just the three of us behind a screen. So precious.
We kept the family on hold for a few more minutes and then it was back to the ward, congratulations from the staff, and hellos to the world - the continuation of a Friday, well, not quite!
Lots of pain meds (yay, they really help even if you do slur a lot), sms’s, phone calls to grandparents, dad in for a visit, seeing Adam holding a precious bundle, laughing at a first nappy change that left the bassinet wet (good aim!), a blur really, but a wonderful day.
I slurred my way through my visitors who specially came over on Friday night: Candace, Clare, Adrienne, Doy - it was so so good to see you and share my day with you.
I’m now three days in, home tomorrow. I’ve been blessed to have the whole general ward to myself for the entire weekend, and have savoured the quiet moments and cuddles.
Jessica has been able to visit as we like, her comment was "Baby” and patting him on the head… 

Friends have popped in and spoilt us with “boy-stuff”, and I am writing this waiting for the last feed for the day before flopping down for the night with the staff to watch Luke for me. A privilege.
Hello little boy, I can hardly believe that you are here. All those grimaces, sucks, and all 3kg and 53cm of you. Life started on Friday, but our family will be together tomorrow afternoon. Dad, Mum, Jessica and Luke. Quite a wow thought.

No comments:
Post a Comment