Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Seriously....


So we have a great gardener who comes in every two weeks to help out with some sweeping etc. And I get called out to address this large spider that he's running away from. So Joseph is rather short and slight, but hey, he's my size and I GET TO SORT THE SPIDER. Something wrong here. 

No kidding, body around 5cm, nice and hairy, raised front legs threatening me. So I trapped it in a Nescafe jar that was lurking, and then offered it to Luke's preschool for show and tell. They refused, and I sent one mom squeaking down the stairs at high speed when I showed my arachnid off. Wussy! (Is that polite of me?)

Then I took it to Jessica's primary school where a Grade 6 class adopted it, much to the enjoyment of the boys and the white faces of a few girls who eyed the windows for possible exit routes. Hee hee. C'mon, I had to catch the darn thing. 

Turns out my "pet" was a Baboon spider, closely related to the Tarantula family. They do not back down, and their venom is nasty (but won't kill you). And they have families that live close to each other. And you get them in the Western Cape. Ick. 

No comments: