Thursday, December 31, 2009

Vic Bay



I had a teambuild that required a night away - the first ever from Adam, Jessica and Luke. The plan was to drive up to George on Thursday (leaving CT at 6pm), spend the night at Vic Bay, do the teambuild and then drive back to CT, leaving George around 6pm again.

Well, the team that I worked with were marvellous, and we left CT around 7pm after a minor combi mishap when the local petrol attendant put petrol into the diesel fuel tanks of our first vehicle. A quick find of a second vehicle, and we were on our way. Lots of driving later (it's a 5 hour drive at minimum), we arrived in Vic Bay at 1.30am, unpacked and fell into bed. My alarm went off at 6am and only the thought of a walk on the beach lifted me bodily! With gritty eyes I made it out of the door to be greeted with a gorgeous beach, the glimmers of sunrise on the waters, surfers' heads shining darkly like wet seals in the waves and the cleanliness of fresh early morning sea air. Deep breath!  The picture almost does it justice.

Then it was up and off, picking up towels at the local hotel, off to the airport to get cars ready and prep for the day. The client was an IT company from Jhb. Their staff were told to pack enough clothes for 2 days, and to be at their offices at a certain time. They knew nothing more. They were picked up, taken to a local airport, put on a plane to George and then sent on an Amazing Race (spanning George, Oudtshoorn and Mossel Bay). Checking in at a hotel at the end, they were going to party all night, go to the Sevens Rugby tournament the next day, party some more and get bodily carried to the airport on Sunday morning to make their flights back (by then they would need to be carried I am guessing).

We checked out the 4 new Nissan Xtrails that the clients were going to be using, and got ready. We were taken by surprise a bit when the flight got in early, but made a grand entrance by driving up in convoy with our lights on. The guys were blown away, and after a quick briefing, hopped in their vehicles and were driven to the first location. During the day they got to ride ostriches, swim across a shark tank, do a labyrinth, taste chocolate, taste wit blits, make cheese, do a 4x4 challenge and a few other activities. They had a blast! 

And so did we! By the time we were done we were toast, to say the least. Thank goodness for the tour guide experience of my drivers (I was the facilitator) as they were used to long distance driving and little sleep. With my mommy brain I was exhausted even though I routinely get up twice a night for Luke to feed.

I must say that I enjoyed my quiet 45 minutes sitting on a farm outside Oudtshoorn waiting for the teams to come in at lunch time, looking at the distant blue mountains, listening to the ostriches, breathing Karoo air. I felt suddenly single, unattached., no responsibilities. It was the strangest feeling.

And it was so good to get back home at 1am on Saturday morning. To see Lukey asleep with his little bum in the air. Hear Jessica snoring away. And to snuggle down into bed with Adam's arm thrown over me, reliving the memories of a crazy 24-hour excursion into a different part of our country with great people and experiences.

No comments: