On a cold rainy Cape Town winter's afternoon, after a bowl of steamy Jamie Oliver pasta at the kitchent table, we snuggled into bed with Luke to watch Miss Potter. I laughed, (surreptitiously) cried and was swept along in this marvellous real-life drama. I had no inkling of Beatrix Potter's life - just a somewhat vague familiarity with her stories. We have a few for Jessica, but she has not "found" them yet. Neither, really, have I. Until now.
I have a yearning to write again. Not just a blog, but to put that book together finally. Should it be the Snickerdoodle people again? A real-life story, or collection of stories? Perhaps a poetry explosion? Sigh.
My real-life self doth not know. Mummy-brain, could it be?
Anyway, I'll write of our every-day stories today. Jessica has again bashed herself. This time thankfully NOT her nose again, but her chin as she ran across the courtyard outside the Kirstenbosch shop and took a flying tumble. Ouch! It seems that our cute "Jessica-Boo" is just a tad prone to diving off things. A week before that she managed to plummet off a ledge in the lounge and connect with her rocking horse on the way down. Witness: one very bruised nose and a gashed puffy lip. And the week before that, it was a tumble at the Aquarium that split the said lip and made me wonder if we were going to have to go and find a doctor for stitches.
Aside from facial woes, the little girl has started to sing to herself in the car when we go on trips and forget the radio face. It's so sweet to hear a mix of "Twinkle Winnie Pooh, Winnie Pooh, lala la, up and down, beep beep BEEP" and other melodies from the back seat. Along with comments like "Daddy coming NOW-now". The verbal and mental connections are all happening and so we're constantly surprised at how much she can communicate. Today she got quite cross with us when she said something and we couldn't work out what it was. She firmly said again, loudly (!), "Sun OUT!" and pointed at the window to show her silly parents that the sun was out finally after a morning of showers! Ok, we did get it finally!
And of course, she copies everything you say. Including, one day this week, my comment when something went wrong while I was making supper: "Bugger!". A little voice on the other side of the kitchen sweetly said in return "bugger" and I knew I was in trouble! Thankfully she has not said it again. Though she does say "OOF" whenever she bends down. I think she gets it from me :)
She's just woken from a nap, so bye for now. We're going to go explore the workshop where Adam is working on our coffee table. Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment