Monday, September 10, 2007

Almost 8 weeks old now...

Jessica is almost 8 weeks old now, and starting to chat and smile. It's very rewarding to get a smile - but very hard to catch one on camera. She's a great sleeper and goes down at about 7ish each night, waking at 3.30 for a feed, and then between 6 and 7am again. I really value our afternoon nap from 2 to 4pm as I tend to stay up at night chatting to Adam or doing all the things that I have not got to during the day.

We go out most mornings making the most of the weather and heading down to the beaches especially as the Southern Right whales have all come in now to calve. Jessica tends to pass out in her car seat on the way (as shown here).

I had coffee at the Olympia cafe on Wednesday with Stuart who was down for a day and between flights. We spotted a few whales from Boyes Drive, but as we left the Olympia, he spotted a blow. We wandered down to the harbour and sat on the wall while I fed Jessica, watching a pod of about 8 whales drift past. One was full of the joys of spring and breached repeatedly, another treated us to his tail lazily waving in the air. It was a wonderful hour, and incredible to be about 50m from the whales (you could hear them blow). The local fishermen were also watching as they readied their boats for the night fishing, and telling each other colourful tales of whale encounters at night. I must admit that I eavesdropped with great enjoyment - their language is most expressive and a polyglot mix of Afrikaans and English.

Adam and I went out on our second date without Jessica on Saturday night - the first date was pizza two weeks ago - to a screening of the Banff Film Festival. Ten of the best "outdoor" films are chosen each year, and are shown as a "Film Festival". This year's festival was as inspiring, chilling and edge-of-seat as last year's. We watched BASE jumpers, climbers, bikers and heli-skiers, as well as no-boarders (snowboarding with no bindings for feet). Wow stuff. Jessica was fast asleep when we got back to Anne's house - Anne, Meg, Jeremy and the two boys all took turns playing with her, so no wonder she was exhausted!

Today we are heading off to the doc to get the second set of vaccinations: a 6-in-1 shot. I think I may need earmuffs... wish us luck!

No comments: